Saturday, December 02, 2006

Starbucks and Syntax

A funny scene this Monday here in Seattle related to language and syntax. It reminded me of a struggle in development when we just can't find the right syntax. We know what we want the server to do, but we just can't find the words or the sequence! We've all been there when learning a new language, or using a different database. It's sometimes tough to communicate and get your "order" through.

Here's the scene:
A tall, gentleman carrying a briefcase walks into Starbucks and is in line before me to order. He appears to be visiting on business. It's just before 8:00 a.m. and the baristas downtown at that time are moving with their same super effiiciency as always, churning through the orders. Howard Shulz would be proud. Next up in line before me, is the tall out-of-town gentlemen:

syntax challenged requestor: "I'd like a small coffee [gestures with hands], in a LARGE [gestures with hands] cup"

barista (server): [no doubt having heard this type of request before, returns with the two smallest Starbucks cups] "Would you like a 'tall' small [shakes tall cup], or a 'short' small [shakes short cup]"

syntax challenged requestor: [self assured and in control] "No no no... I'd like a SMALL coffee [gestures with hands], in a LARGE [gestures with hands] cup"

barista (server): [very patiently] "Yes, I understand. Would you like a 'tall' small [shakes tall cup]... this size [shakes cup again]........ or a 'short' small [shakes short cup] ... this small size"

syntax challenged requestor: [more confused now goes for the biggest] "No... I want the biggest cup you have, with a small coffee"

barista (server): [very patiently] "Yes, sir. I'm just wondering which size coffee you want in the large cup. Would you like a 'tall' small [shakes tall cup]... this size [shakes cup again]........ or a 'short' small [shakes short cup] ... this small size"

syntax challenged requestor: "Oh... I gotcha now. I'll take the tall small."

barista (server): [very patiently] "That'll be X dollars X cents." ... 30 seconds later, someone brings the tall coffee in a venti cup.

syntax challenged requestor: "You see, I just want room for cream."

barista (server): "That's a lot of cream. Can I help the next person in line?"

Poor guy. If he only had the right syntax, he could have made that a lot easier on himself.

No comments: